Wednesday 28 March 2018

Egg collection & sperm retrieval

Today was the day. We were supposed to be at the clinic at 8:30am but weren't sure about traffic so left just after 7am. We got there with 35 minutes spare. 😅 They let us in the reception area though so we waited there. Rick's dad who was our designated driver and companion for the day was taking a piss by having a cup of tea right in front of us knowing full well we couldn't eat or drink anything. 😒
At 8:30 we were taken to one of the consultation offices and had a little chat with a nurse, she was asking usual questions about our medical history, allergies, loose teeth or crowns... We were told what to expect which was pretty straightforward with me. Rick was told if they can't aspire any sperm with syringe they might need to make a small incision in the scrotum anyway. He was quite nervous because he was only going to have a local anaesthesia. I got ready and then helped Rick get ready. I was told by one nurse to try and empty my bladder which was fine but not even 5 minutes later the main doctor who was leading both our procedures told me to go again otherwise they would have to catheterize me. I did go but there was nothing. Duh.
They wheeled me in, put cannula in easily and first bit of sedation. Then I remember them telling me they were going to position my legs but don't actually remember them doing it and nothing after that. I woke up back in recovery unit. I asked a nurse how many eggs they collected and how long it took. They got 10 eggs! 🤗 And apparently it took about 30 minutes. I asked 5 minutes later again but don't remember asking twice. 😅 After me another lady went for egg collection and then Rick. He had my overhead headphones on so he wouldn't hear them talking during the procedure. He was back in about 30 minutes and at the end they did only bilateral TESA. So no cutting needed. He was sooo happy. And they also found sperm! 🤗 Just before my procedure I signed a consent form in case they didn't find any sperm and the frozen back up wouldn't survive thawing so they could freeze my eggs so they wouldn't go wasted. That wasn't needed at the end but it was good to have it in worst case scenario. I munched some biscuits and hot chocolate, Rick the same a bit later and after a quick chat with an embryologist we were ready to go. All went well and now we are chilling at home with the fire on. Now we just have to wait till tomorrow to see how many eggs were mature and suitable for ICSI and how many fertilised. 🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment