Wednesday 17 February 2016

Embryo transfer, Day 5

I can't explain how nervous and anxious I was this morning. We didn't have to get up until 9am as we are supposed to be at the clinic for 12pm but I was awake since around 6am. I was so scared the phone would ring. Before today, I was expecting the phone call quite eagerly, to hear how our embryos were doing. But today if the phone rang, it would mean that none of our three embryos survived, that they stopped developing and there would be no transfer. It was quite nerve-wrecking.
It is 10am now so I'm quite confident that everything is fine and the transfer will take place.

As of about 12:40pm I am officially PUPO!! That means pregnant until proven otherwise, haha. Today it went very quick, we arrived just before 12, had a little talk with a nurse who gave me some paperwork and two home pregnancy tests. A little wait in the waiting room with full bladder, hoping for a quick procedure and then going to toilet. All good, another nurse took us both through to the procedure room/mini theatre and sat us down again. Embryologist came and told us news about our embryos. She knew we originally wanted just one put back in but based on the quality of our embryos, she recommended to put 2 back in. On day 5, embryos should be in the stage of blastocyst, no visible cells, just nice little circle. Our embryos were a bit behind, they were compacting morulas, which is normally a stage of development on day 4. That's why they think the pregnancy has more chances with two embryos in without too big risk of having twins.
The transfer itself took just a few minutes and was performed by the same doctor who did my egg collection. I wasn't happy about it as I developed quite strong antipathy for her but this time she was considerably gentler. Maybe because Rick was sitting next to me. We could see everything on the ultrasound monitor but there is not much to it anyway. I kind of thought that I would feel different after, a bit more pregnant if not anything else but no. I feel exactly the same as I did in the morning or yesterday or last week. Hopefully it comes later.
Now we have to wait 10 days (today is day 5, pregnancy test is done on day 15) till we find out whether it worked. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment